Ana de La Cueva born in Guadalajara, Mexico. Lives and works in New York.
Upcoming exhibition at San Francisco Mexican museum “cinco y cinco ” June, 2016. The exhibition references how much ground has been broken, covered, and achieved by Latino artists as a result of institutions like The Mexican Museum and other arts organizations that arose from the cultural struggles for recognition and social equality in the 70’s. Her work is included in the exhibition THREADS, at Museum Arnhem (Museum voor Moderne Kunst Arnhem), works by 25 international artists in which the medium of thread plays a political prominent role. Recently completed the international “NARS” Residency, Brooklyn NY.
Previous museum shows include:
“The Geometric Unconscious: Desire, Discipline & Modern Art” at the Sheldon Museum of Art until 02/2013. Her multimedia works were shown in "Pricked," a group exhibition of artists using embroidery at the Museum of Arts and Design, New York (2007), MAZ museo de Zapopan, Mex, 2003.
Mostra do trabalho /Instituto Tomie Ohtake, Sao Paulo, Br. curated by Julia Buenaventura. Previous one person shows at thrust projects (2009), Latin Collector Gallery, New York (2007) and Generous Miracles Gallery, New York (2002), other projects of the artist include a commission by El Museo del Barrio to photograph the renovation of their new galleries. De la Cuevas' photographs were showcased in a book to coincide with the re-opening of the museum, she is in the museums permanent collection and also exhibitions include super real: “alternative realities in photography and video”, at El Muse del barrio, NY. She received support from Rockefeller Foundation. Project was a word from the children to keep bilingual education in public schools in California. This was a Mural executed under a budget and time frame. She attended FAAP art residency in Sao Paulo, Br, showing “fronteiras” at Thomie Ohtake. The work was recently shown at MACO art fair with Henrique Faria Gallery, NY. permanent collections include of Museo del Barrio, MAD, Museo de Zapopan, and the Jumex Museum among others.
Selected solo shows
- 2013 Fronteiras, Instituto Tomie Ohtake, Sao Paulo, Brasil
- 2009 El Paquete , Jane Kim/Thrust Projects, New York, NY
- 2007 Mending Traces, Latin collector Gallery, New York, NY
- 2004 JGM Arte Contemporáneo, Monterrey, Mexico
- 2003 Ex Teresa Arte Contemporáneo, Mexico DF, Mexico
- Museo de Arte de Zapopan, Zapopan, Mexico
- 2002 Generous Miracles Gallery, New York, NY (cathalog)
- Galería Hausderkunst, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 2001 El arte como terapia, Milan, Italy
- 1996 Galería Mónica Armendáriz, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 1994 Galería Jorge Álvarez Arte Contemporáneo, Guadalajara, Mexico
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2016 San Francisco Mexican museum “cinco y cinco ” San Francisco California
- 2016 Nars Residency, Brooklyn, NY
- 2015 “animal world” umbrella gallery, NY
- 2014 exhibition “threads”at Museum Arnhem, Netherlands.
- Flat Files, at Pierogy gallery, Brooklyn NY
- 2013 “art Bo”:Int. art Fair, Bogota, Co. with Galeria Jaqueline Martins of Sao Paulo, Br.
- 2013 “fronteiras”: curated by Julia Buenaventura. Instituto Thomie Othake, Sao Paulo, Br
- 2013 “MACO art fair”: Mexico City, Galeria Henrique Faria, N.Y, USA
- 2013 “FAAP”: artist residency open studio.
- 2013 “Superreal”: alternative realities in photography and video, El Museo del Barrio, N. Y. USA
- 2012 “The Geometric Unconscious: Desire, Discipline and Modern Art” Sheldon Museum of Art (cathalog)
- 2010 The Machine Eats, Frederico Seve Gallery, New York
- 2008 The Question is Known: (Where is Latin American/Latino Art? Mission Cultural Center for
- Arts (MCCLA), San Francisco, CA
- MoLAA Awards, Museum of Latin American Art, Long Beach, CA
- 2007 Contraluz , Moma Grama, Mexico
- Principio de Incertidumbre , museo fundidora, Forum Mundial, Monterrey, Mexico
- Pricked, Museum of Arts and Design, New York, NY
- 2006 Latincollector Gallery, New York, NY
- 2002 Cámara Ex Convento del Carmen, Guadalajara, Mexico
- Inside/Outside, Quotidian Gallery, San Francisco, CA (Video screening)
- 2001 Galería Haus der Kunst, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 2000 Cruz Roja, Monterrey, Mexico
- 1997 Galería Jorge Álvarez de Arte Contemporáneo, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 1993 Bienal de Pintura Alfonso Michel, Guadalajara, Mexico
- 1991 Galería Menina Centeno, Mexico
- 2008 Nominee for the MoLAA Awards, Museum of Latin American Art, Long Beach, CA
- 2001 Finalist and Honorable mention, Festival Videoarte UNIMOVIE, Pescara, Italy
- 2000Gran Premio Omnilife Salón de Octubre, (Catalog)
- 1997III Monterrey Biennial, installation (Catalog)
- 1993Salón de Octubre, Instituto Cultural Cabañas
- 1995 Public Mural at Filbert Street, San Francisco, CA
- Mural at the Public school Las Gallinas, “keep bilingual education in public school ”a word from the kids to the government. San Francisco, CA
- The Jumex Collection, Mexico DF
- Coleccion Robert and Karen Duncan, Lincoln NE, USA
- Fundacion Daniela Chappard, NY, Venezuela
- Coleccion Le Baron , Lincoln NE, USA
- Coleccion Galeria Henrique Faria, NY
- Coleccion Arq Arthur Casas, Sao Paulo, BR
- Coleccion Roberto Hemuda, mexico
- Coleccion permanente Museo del barrio, NY, MAD museum, MOOLA, LA, MAZ , JUMEX, mexico.
- Coleccion Meana-Larraucea Espana
- Coleccion Laurence Bernstein, NY
- Coleccion Bensadoun, NY
- Coleccion Philip Sofaer, Arg